Re: [Debconf-discuss] Questions about Banja Luka

Hi there,

Ok i'll try and answer as much questions i can. If you have any more
just ask them here.

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 4:03 PM, John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm excited about (likely) being able to get to Debconf11!  As I'm starting
> to educate myself about traveling to Banja Luka, I of course started with
> the U.S. State Dept. info.  I noted that American's don't need a visa for
> Debconf, which is nice.  I also noted these sections:
>
> http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1070.html#safety

OK. The land-mines problem exists, BUT only if you go to uninhabited
areas (deserted/far away woods, deserted mountain fields, etc.) and
all of the minefields are marked as such with red ribbon and text:
MINE FIELD! DANGEROUS!

Meaning, if you stay in the city and/or go mountain hiking where
theres hiking roads, you are going to be safe from mines!
I can not stress this enough, everyone attending DebConf11 in Banja
Luka is safe from mines (except if you DO go to locations that are
marked having mines there).

Random violence is everywhere in the world, there is no way someone
can tell you 100% that there is not going to be anybody pissed off at
someone else at any given time anywhere on the planet.

Bosnian criminals carry firearms, but so do american, german, finnish,
japans, chinas, africans...you get the point.
NO, it is not common that someone will bring a gun to your face and
say "give me you wallet". I can not guarantee it 100%, but again,
nobody can and not just in Banja Luka!

The events mentioned on the website above are true, but they were acts
of terrorism, just like it happens everywhere in the world now days.
It simply can not be guaranteed that it will not happen, but it IS
highly unlikely to!

> http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1070.html#crime

Again, if you act normal and don't give a chance to somebody, they
can't rob you!
Of course, if somebody tries to scam you and you don't recognize what
they are trying to do, they will succeed!
But this is not Banja Luka specific thing and i once more have to say,
it can happen to you everywhere in the world, including your home
town!

Don't go to small streets with no lights, stay in crowded places, with
some friends and you will be fine :)
I would give this advice to anyone anywhere, not just if you are in Banja Luka.

> http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1070.html#traffic_safety

Roads are the problem in BiH, but as you can see we all travel a lot!
When i say the roads are a problem, i mean they are old and there is
almost no highway.
But when traveling with a bus, you are in no danger at all, since
these buses go on a daily basis with no problems what so ever!
The only drawback regarding roads and traveling is that it takes more
time to get from point A to point B.

> http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1070.html#medical

The medical system in BiH is done much differently than in the US.
We have a social welfare here in BiH, it's what most of European
countries have, although the quality is not as good!
But still if you hurt yourself you definitely wont die, or be left
without proper treatment.
There is a hospital in every larger city in BiH, and since the Banja
Luka is not that big it doesn't need 5 hospitals anyway.
Rest assure, you will be taken care of!

Check if your health insurance covers your time spent in BiH!

> They talk about things such as hand grenades being used by criminals,
> dangerous mountain roads, and possibly limited medical facilities.  I don't
> want to take that information at face value or out of context, so I'm
> wondering if anyone in Banja Luka can comment on how much weight we should
> really put on those comments?  I'm assuming that Debconf wouldn't be at an
> unsafe location, so I'm not being scared off by it, but more specific info
> from the local folks would be welcome.  The bus ride form Zagreb hopefully
> wouldn't have these unsafe parts on it, and I'd be interested in what sort
> of medical facilities are available should anyone at Debconf need them.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- John Goerzen

We will provide everyone with a list of things you need to know once
you get to Banja Luka, including ER, drug stores, police stations,
etc.
Additionally there will be a help desk with local people there, that
can answer all of your questions and help you about anything you may
need!

Some additional security will be provided on the every DebConf11
location (accommodations, venue, etc.).

We look forward to see you all in Banja Luka soon :)

Velimir