Re: [Debconf-discuss] More questions regarding what to bring for DebConf10 (and other stuff)

David,

>Perhaps just my lack of travel experience to blame, or perhaps just
>really horrible luck..

In the past 30 years I have traveled to over 100 countries, most of them
more than one time.  I have gone places that my government has deemed
"unsafe" for various political reasons.

In every large city there are people who will take advantage of "new
comers".  They are experienced in seeing who these people are, looking
for signs that say "tourist".

This is why in most airports there are warnings that say "take
authorized taxis", etc.

Unfortunately they often mask honest people just trying to "make a
buck".

To be safe, always buy your tickets, etc. from "authorized" sellers (a
store, a machine, the metro offices itself.  Note the number of the taxi
you are in when you get into it.  This not only helps if the taxi driver
takes you on a very long route to go a short distance, but if you forget
something in the taxi, you may be able to recover it later.

What I have found is that when I talk to the average person on the
street, they all want the same things:  A good life for themselves, a
better life for their children, and to be left alone by the government.

New York is a great city, but in millions of people living closely
together, the same percentage of bad people seem to multiply.

>I tend to be strongly on the side of caution.... Even if my post helps
>one person, I'll be happy.

It probably did help someone.

Peace,

maddog