Re: [Debconf-discuss] More questions regarding what to bring for DebConf10 (and other stuff)

John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:

> More laptops have B plugs these days, FWIW.

True.  All of my chargers for things like portable music players or cell
phones still have A plugs, though, even for things I've bought in the past
year.

> Incidentally I would be shocked if any visitor to the USA encounters an
> A socket.  Yes some old A sockets exist, but are exceptionally rare due
> to the number of devices that require a B socket.  I'd be certain that
> all the outlets in the Columbia dorms are B sockets; after all, Columbia
> students are probably bringing PCs or monitors, both of which usually
> require a B socket.

The only reason why I would be cautious here is that universities are
notorious for having older buildings.  Most of the places where I still
see A sockets are in old university buildings or old apartment complexes.

I agree that it's basically certain the dorms will have B sockets, but
there's some minor chance that if you're in one of the venue buildings or
some other university building and just want to sit down in the hall and
plug in, you'll only have an A socket available there.

This is all from someone who's never actually been at Columbia, though, so
locals can of course provide much better information.