Re: [Debconf-discuss] [Debconf-team] Thanking our sponsors

Hi Micah,

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 06:31:40PM -0400, micah anderson wrote:
> My guess is the great DrDub, who has been doing an amazingly significant
> amount of work in discussing with sponsors and potential sponsors has
> discussed with them the relative merits of donating, and perhaps the
> perk of the logo on the shirt is part of that sell.
>
> It would be interesting to know if he has heard one way or the other
> From the sponsors, if cared about that or not. I'm certainly no monetary
> sponsor, and probably should not use myself as a model, but if I were, I
> would be sponsoring Debconf because my company benefits significantly
> From Debian as a distribution. Either because it is a core business, or
> makes up critical internal infrastructure. The existence of a logo, or
> not, would not matter to me because I saved 10 gazillion dollars because
> we switched to Debian, and I want to keep that savings around.

I can assure you that, while you accurately describe the motivations and
desires of some of our sponsors, other actual and potential sponsors do care
about seeing their logo displayed on the shirts and in other cases. For them
it's about getting publicity for their organization to an audience that might
care about them, instead of giving back to Debian per se. Both types are useful
sources of funding.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org