Re: [Debconf-discuss] Thanking our sponsors

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 09:37:55PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 2:31 AM, Pablo Duboue <pablo.duboue@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > A long while somebody in #debconf-team asked if we can have plain
> > t-shirts available for sale without sponsor logos.
>
> I share that wish.
>
> > That is of course a valid question and I would like to share my
> > feelings about it: it would be a very bad idea ;-)
>
> <snip excellent analysis>
>
> I'd like to reiterate a downside to the sponsor logos mentioned by Clint:
>
> http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20100521.021314.53087a99.en.html

But, how many of the existing sponsors who have contributed find value
in having their logos displayed?

Of course we can't know the answer to that question, really. But, my
point is that it seems like a catch-22. It seems to me that the known
value to DebConf of Sponsors whose logos we display is greater than the
known value of donations we've missed out on because of the issue you
and Clint raise.

Maybe a guerilla campain ala Fugazi fan lore could be done with some set
of shirts saying "This is not a DC10 T-Shirt".

-edrz (who never wears clothing with any visible printing in public ...
I only wear my conference shirts when sleeping. That's irrelevant to
this discussion because it doesn't matter to me whether the printing
includes corporate logos or not. I just prefer to avoid being "read" or
acting as a billboard for anyone or anything but myself. But, I'm most
likely a very irrelevant corner case in that regard. I just
parenthetically mention this to say that I am personally not invested in
either side of the logo-ed vs logo-less DebConf shirt debate.)