Re: [Debconf-discuss] GPG keysigning?

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 12:11:54PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009, Sami Liedes wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 10:43:53AM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > > Perhaps it would be good enough to have the public
> > > checksum-checking part of the keysigning party very early on in
> > > Debconf, and then do the signing later on during meals, where
> > > there would be an opportunity for more informal interaction to
> > > establish identity, etc. beyond the 20 seconds or so that you have
> > > during a mass keysigning.
> >
> > That's a compromise of some kind. I don't think it's necessary the
> > best possible compromise, though. There seem to be two conflicting
> > needs here, which both seem to me to have some importance:
> >
> > a) That the ID check needs to be more than casual, and the nature of
> > a mass key signing party often results in lax checks;
> >
> > b) That a strong WOT is a strongly connected WOT, with lots of
> > (proper) signatures.
>
> You can't have b without a. And it's very difficult to do (a) in a
> large setting. Plus, we might as well bring in the social interactions
> that doing (a) properly entails, and a place to do that which is less
> time restricted is probably better.
>
> That said, we can always do a massive key signing if it doesn't work
> out.

Firstly, my apologies for opening this can of worms.

Having said that, I like Don's idea a lot.

Perhaps it would be worth setting up a system to generate the list of
DebConf attendees furthest from one's own key in the WoT, to give people
targets to hunt down, while tightening the WoT most efficiently.

Cheers,