[Debconf-discuss] sponsorship allocation team & request

Hi,

Last year, in the sponsorship allocation team we had several discussions of
how to improve the process. This year it might be late for some changes, but
we still can improve it and make it more transparent.

I talked about this mostly with Tincho and Marga.  Most of the stuff is
gathered for conversations in IRC.

First, we talked about having a input field to tell what you do in Debian when
you ask for *travel* sponsorship. I remember we had this in Mexico and it is
nice to know what this person does if you do not know him/her. It helps you
to know if somebody is already a contributor (for example translator of
language) or just somebody interested who saw the opportunity to ask
for sponsorship and asked to see what happens :)

Second, Tincho suggested having the process a bit similar to the papers
process. Committee process people in penta using the voting system and then
have a meeting to talk about the results. Last year, he had two meetings, and
some people did not have enough time and look on the debian's involvement of
the people in the list.
I am afraid this needs some penta hacking :-(

Also, I think marga or gunnar, not sure now, proposed to fund only a percent
of the requested amount. And instead of start with the ordered list of
people and fund so far as the money reaches, start funding a 20 % of all the
people who were approved for sponsorship, then if we get more money, fund a
30% and so on. Only making exceptions with people who really needs the funding
to attend.
A variant of this, is just establish a maximun amount of sponsoring depending
of were you come from. For example:
-spain a maximum between 100-150 (usually less, but some parts are really bad
connected)
-close europe countries (to spain...) maximum 200-250
-far europe countries (to spain again) max 400-450
- etc, for people coming of another contients it might be a bit more hard...

Ana

PS: Btw, for what I have gathered from the meeting logs, the teams are not yet
formed, so i volunter again this year.