Re: [Debconf-discuss] Call for keys for keysigning in Edinburgh during DebConf7

Hi,

On Wednesday 09 May 2007 19:42, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         Better yet, go read all the threads concerning the event from
>  last May, and come back if you have anything new to add.

Unfortunatly I have read them all. And I still have something to add:

Keysigning is a game and weasel won.

http://ftp.ccc.de/congress/22C3/lectures/video/mp4/720x576/22C3-545-en-web_of_trust.mp4
http://events.ccc.de/congress/2005/fahrplan/attachments/685-slides_breaking_down_the_web_of_trust.pdf

For example: I have very little idea how individuals secure their computer(s)
and their key - anybody running binary only software on the computer? (Do you
use linuxbios?) You loose... So I shouldn't trust any single key to propagate
trust further down the link. _If_ I have many pathes to a second hop, I might
decide to "trust" this 2nd hop too, so I consider keysigning still useful.
Also, IDs are fakeable, should I trust government_s_ and _people_? Also, even
very careful, "trustworthy" people make mistakes. One single mistake (in the
keys lifetime after signing it) can compromise an individuals key. And it's
very likely that neither the individual nor the rest of the world will ever
notice. There are more points, but I'm too lazy sum them up here and now.

Please watch the video, before you continue this thread. What madduck did, was
to show a _single_ flaw^wissue in a very complex system.

Can "we" please get over it and get on? Thanks. There is no need to repeat the
thread from last year. (This is not targeted at the other part of this thread
where people are trying to make the keysigning more meaningful and more
secure.)

regards,
	Holger, who stills signs keys. Security is a chain, and we need to make the
links stronger. All the time. But believing we can create security, is
superstition.