Re: [Debconf-discuss] Talk != BOF

On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 11:08:18AM +0200, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> * Steve Langasek (vorlon@debian.org) [060610 03:37]:
> > I find, looking at the proceedings for the first time
> > as I write this mail, that other papers are definitely more worthwhile,

> can you come up with a criteria of when to ask for a paper and
> when not? that would make your comment even more productive. (c:

Perhaps it would be better to allow speakers to submit either a presentation
or a paper according to their preference, and for the organizers to decide
how they want the schedule to be filled with talks vs. presentations and
fill the schedule that way?  My feeling is that a good talk doesn't become a
bad one just because it's not accompanied by a paper, and good talks are
more important than good papers for what DebConf is to people -- so if
someone wants to write a good paper, that's wonderful, but that shouldn't be
a deciding factor in whether they should be allowed to present.  (Or even,
IMHO, in whether they should be given travel sponsorship.)