Re: [Debconf-discuss] KSP post-mortem: why I won't be able to sign some keys

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 03:04:53PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:

> while I agree that flaws in the actual protocol being used are problematic and
> worth pointing out, I wonder much more why people aren't more worried about
> how people use their computers: (double booting windows and) not using
> encrypted partitions, leaving there computers unlocked while being away,
> using binary only (non-free) software, running experimental packages from
> various sources (assuming that sid, testing and stable are safe..), etc. This
> potentially exposes the integrity of the private key, not only the integrity
> of signatures - which later can be revoked anyway.

Difference of degree, difference in what we think we can prevent.  If
someone manages their key poorly, but we really do know *who* that person
is, then a) if the key is compromised by an attacker and used for ill
there's a chance the real owner will notice this and the damage will be
mitigated, b) we can hold the owner of the key responsible for any damage
done with it.  If, OTOH, the *true* owner of the key is not who they've
claimed to be, and this person proceeds to use his access to compromise
Debian or $insert_evil_thing_here, they pretty much get away with it with
only the cost of a throw-away identity.

As always, this comes down to doing what we reasonably can to raise barriers
to attackers to make attacks cost-prohibitive, without spending more
time/money/effort on it than is justified by the returns.