Re: [Debconf-discuss] Mexican water

El d�17/04/2006 a 14:19 Erinn Clark escribi�

> I've looked around a bit, but I can't seem to find anything on the dc6
> website or wiki pages that mention the dangers of drinking tap water in
> Mexico. I went to my doctor who gave me a prescription for Cipro
> (associated anthrax jokes are not clever) in case I come close to dying
> from e. coli, but I'd really prefer to avoid getting sick in the first
> place.

I don't think that's something to really worry about. From medical
sources in order to get caught by such diseases you should be in
really bad health situation and you also need be exposed to those
bacteries.

The infectous focus for these diseases are mostly places when basic
hygiene/cleaning rules are not met. For instance not washing or
boiling foods, meat, dishes, not cleaning bathroom or kitchens, and
really poor hygiene practices.

> So:
>
> Do we need to brush our teeth with bottled water?
>
> How will the vegans/vegetarians manage to avoid getting sick? It is my
> understanding that eating fruits and vegetables that have been washed in
> tap water is going to probably make us all violently ill.

that's wrong, you should not worry about it.
Probably you saw advertising which is intended for people who has poor
hygiene practices in their houses (mostly the poor areas).

In Latin america, as probably you saw in Brazil, you can expect in a
good class Hotel processed water (most likely from public sources)
some have additional water filters. Good hygiene and food cleaning
practices.

Of course you might want not to drink from tap, but even you should be safe.
We vegans have not to worry about such things, just make sure food is
properly handled, cleaned and/or boiled.

> How long does it take for people to get used to the new bacteria?

I can ask this to my mom, she's nurse, that's why i know a bit of this
medical issues.

regards,
Rudy

--