Re: [Debconf-discuss] Car hire after debconf

> It looks like rental from here mexico city-mexico city is between $500 and
> GBP 400, depending on how much insurance you buy, and I can't find anyone
> that will do MEX->Cancun or similar.

I'm currently planning a family trip for next August (not after
Debconf as my kids aren't free at this moment because of school), so
I've acquired some knowledge now...let's share.

The most usual trip with the centers of interest you mentioned would
be something like Mexico-Oaxaca-Chiapas-Yucatan.....

However don't imagine doing that in one week..:-). We're planning
doing this in *two* weeks and we already know we will drive a lot for
some days (especially Oaxaca-Chiapas wihch is pretty long)

The price to pay is abandoning the rented car in Cancun or Merida or
so, in Yucatan...which will cost you about US$500. Most international
rental companies will allow this...if you pay.

If you do sacrifices, then you can do a round trip. One possibility
for you would be a few days in Mexico, without car, then fly to Cancun
or Merida and do a round trip in Yucatan (Uxmal, Chichen Itza,
Tulum...and such "famous" places, plus a few beaches), here with a
rented car....

> And of course recomendations for places we absolutely must visit. So far the
> more obscure ruins, the volcanos, the jungle, cenotes and the snorkelling
> look good. I'd like to hook up with local cavers too if possible as Mexico
> is a country I haven't been caving in yet.

Here I can't be of any advice, I'm afraid.....