Re: Suggestions for night arrival

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 11:06 +0200, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> * Arto Teras (ajt@iki.fi) [050525 11:01]:
> > The price is 20 euros for 1-2 people while a normal taxi with night and
> > airport extras added probably costs around 35 euros.
>
> I think you can get 30Euros out of cab drivers if you agree on a
> fixed price beforehand and if he does not, go to the next cab in
> line. that works well for me.

You may find that this won't work. The taxis in Finland are all licensed
and they all follow a predetermined pricing scheme. The prices are set
by the Ministry of Transport and Communications. You can of course ask
for an estimate beforehand -- the GPS system in the taxi can probably
tell the exact distance -- but the drivers really have no way of
charging anything but the predetermined fees.

Here are the current fees for taxis:

Starting fee
mon-fri 06:00-20:00: 4,30 €
sat and national holidays: 4,30 €
other times: 6,60 €

Travel fee
1-2 persons 1,10 €/km
3-4 persons 1,32 €/km
5-6 persons 1,43 €/km
> 6 persons 1,54 €/km

Waiting fee
31,40 €/h (when the taxi is standing still or moving exceptionally
slowly for a period of time -- normally you don't get any of this).

Note that the fees are calculated automatically by a computer. You will
see the current price in real time on a red-digit display on the
dashboard. You should also not be surprised to find that taxis have
safety equipment such as a camera.

Oh yes, cultural details: taxis are usually regular cars with four
doors. You are expected to sit in the back seat and have your seatbelt
fastened. Some taxi drivers are very talkative but some are not. Don't
worry if they're impossible to converse with -- that's how some finns
are and it's not your fault. Taxis generally take cash, finnish bank
cards or a number of credit cards. When the trip is over, you pay before
leaving the car -- if you have luggage in the trunk, you get it
afterwards. Remember to save the receipt you are given! If you forget
something in the taxi, the receipt will include information to determine
how to get it back.

You can find some information about taxis from the Finnish Taxi
Association: http://www.taksiliitto.fi/ Most of it is in Finnish but
there's some general information in English if you click the right flag.

--
Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net>