Re: DebConf-7 ;)

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 11:58:43AM +0200, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 11:44:22AM +0200, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> > even wikipedia knows about greece:
>
> 'even', it's a wiki :)
>
> Why not in Utrecht, NL[1]? Lots of DD's here, lots of experience in
> organising events.
>
> Ok, really seriously: lots of candidates (so far Europe only, though, it
> seems), and due to the nature of this particular choice, it'll be hard
> to ever agree, and agreement by consensus is probably going to leave a
> bit a unsatisfied feeling with other candidates. I think it's imperative
> that there needs to come some way to more or less objectively decide on
> a next location, based on the criteria that matter (which should be
> gathered, of course). Short of increasing the frequency, which I think
> isn't really a doable option because people can't commit that often to a
> conference, this is certainly a necessity now.

people CAN come to every conference. Current practice however is
to come to the conference which is close by. just check the past
debconfs: Oslo: most europeans. Brazil: tons of south americans.
Helsinki: europeans again. Toronto had a vast majority of north
americans.

so in reality those who can and want to come to debconfs still
will, while the over all number of people will attend from the
"closer" vincinity.

Basicly there are two killer factors for a debconf: money and
local volunteers. Even if lots of people think that it would be
great to have debconf at their doorstep it is not at all certain
that there will be a team of people who actually do the work.
People keep underestimating the work involved and think it can be
done in passing. It can not. "Convincing" people (like in the
japan example) to host a debconf is madness.

For the money side of things there is this as a nice overview:
http://www.economist.com/markets/bigmac/displayStory.cfm?story_id=3503641
It is surprisingly accurate, considering that we spend about two
times more then last year (housing and feeding more people at a
lower standard). I dont want to have debconfs above the US (price
wise), really, since it is a waste of money which we could use in
other ways instead. like for having more debconfs in an other
location where other people can travel cheaply. Everyone would
win.