Re: Road-Trip Ireland <-> Finland (Was: Re: Road Trip from Germany et al)

Sven Luther wrote:

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 02:31:30AM +0100, Martin List-Petersen wrote:
On tor, 2005-03-31 at 15:45 +0300, Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:25:06 +0200, martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:
also sprach Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> [2005.03.31.1132 +0200]:
I know that Helsinki is a bit further than Oslo, but I still
wonder if there are people interested in a Road Trip (or maybe
a Train Trip, dunno how expensive that would be)?
I think flying will be cheaper than a train. And a road trip is
a fun idea, but we are talking a good 2-3 days of driving, unless
you want to spend 16 hours in the car in a row.
If you decide to go by car, I would like to join you in Latvia. I can
also find you some cheep places to sleap and eat in Riga if you'd
decide to take a small brake on the way.
Just taking the road-trip idea up again :)

There is no reasonable way of getting out of Ireland (as usual) and
since I'm going to spend a bit more time around Stockholm (the city, not
Andreas :o) and Denmark afterwards, I'm looking into taking the trip
from Ireland over the UK, Netherlands, Germany and either all the way up
to Tallinn or Rostock <-> Tallinn <-> Helsingfors, starting out on the
7th or 8th in Galway.

The car should be ok for 3-4 people (more is overkill). Any interest ?

Notice that the prices of the freeies is ways overkill, especially as i
understand that you *must* take a cabine or something.

Actually, the priciest ones are the ones between Ireland and the UK and UK to the continent. The rest is nothing compared to that. Reason being for taking the car is that car rental on the other end comes up to being at least as expensive as bringing the own car over and I don't want to be too dependant on public transportation. Too much waiting time :)

I would be interested in the way-to-helsinki, but have other plans on the way
back, which may correspond to your needs also, i would go by train to
someplace in germany where you would pick me up, since i live too farther
south than what you need to travel. Hanover would maybe be best in this case,
since i have family there and don't need to wait in some public place in case
you are late or something, and is on the way.
Somewhere around there can be organised.

There are two roads to helsinki from northern germany, through poland and
tallinn, or through denmark, the bridge, sweden, and a small ferry between
stockholm and helsinki, but you probably want to take that one on the way
back.
Ferries from Tallinn to Helsingfors are not too bad, 23-32 EUR pr. adult, 23-25 EUR for the car (summer period) for Tallink or 16-22 EUR for the cabin and 17 EUR for the car on Vikingline. Rostock would be more expensive though, but probably also take a lot more time.

I'm taking the trip back over Sweden / Denmark, because I'm going to make stops in Stockholm, Copenhagen and South Denmark on the tour back. Have to drop in a few places, when I'm around.

I can drive (we went to Oslo by car two years ago in a non-stop 19 hours
drive), and should travel rather light.

Eh. Just mind ya, my steering wheel is not, where you would be used to have it :o) Gives the whole thing another dimension.

Slán Leat,
Martin List-Petersen
Mulrook, Co. Galway, Eire
(contact info ==> http://www.marlow.dk)