Links after the Zen/usability talk

Hello,

as Ian Jackson kindly requested, here are some links to the contents I
touched in my talk:

First of all, the paper behind this talk that I prepared for LinuxTag
2004.  It's more complex that I would like it, but it's got exactly the
contents of this talk, much more expanded.

   Enrico Zini, "Zen and the art of Free Software: know your user, know
   yourself", proceedings of LinuxTag 2004,
   http://www.free-it.de/archiv/talks/paper-10235/ or
   http://people.debian.org/~enrico/talks/2004linuxtag/zen-paper.html

Then the book of Alan Cooper, that I vastly quoted.  It's a really nice
read, full of insightful stuff and funny insider's tales about the new
economy bubble and how there were so many people making so many stupid
choices :)

   Alan Cooper, „The Inmates Are Running the Asylum: Why High Tech
   Products Drive Us Crazy and How to Restore the Sanity“, Sams
   Publishing, 1999

Here's a nice article about personas, from Cooper's newsletter:

   http://www.cooper.com/newsletters/2001_07/perfecting_your_personas.htm

Nielsen's euristics, with "lintian -I" explainations:

   Jakob Nielsen, „Ten Usability Euristics“,
   http://www.useit.com/papers/heuristic/heuristic_list.html

   And by consequence, Nielsen's useit.com website, in which various
   interesting articles end up.  Yet not all of them should necessarily be
   taken literally:

   http://www.useit.com

Then one classic of the literature of ergonomics/usability/design, and a
monument to the great way Norman handled its frustration with doors and
telephones:

   Donald Norman, „The Design of Everyday Things“, Basic Books

And the paper behind the magical number 7±2, with all the interesting
tale on the experiment they made to measure it, applying Shannon's laws
to humans:

   George A. Miller, „The magical number seven, plus or minus two: Some
   limits on our capacity for processing information“, 1956,
   Psycological Review n.63 pp. 81-91,
   http://www.well.com/user/smalin/miller.html

Fabian Fagerholm just suggested me this very nice collection of current
patterns from/for user interfaces.  It is to be used as a way of
thinking about them and understanding them rather than a source of
pre-cooked ideas, just the same as in the Design Patterns we all
(hopefully?) know:

   http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/salaakso/patterns/

Lastly, there's also the survey I made on Debian users which is an
interesting read, although there are no particular techniques explained
there:

   http://people.debian.org/~enrico/survey/survey.php

It's 8 of them: don't read them all at the same time! ;)

Ciao,

Enrico