CAcert assurance at Debconf

Hi,

I, and I suppose others who are attending Debconf, am authorized by
CACert (see below for more info) to provide identity verification
assurances of people through CAcert's Assurance Programme. This is not
too different than a GPG key-signing, except the face-to-face identity
verification allows you to build up points which can then be used to
get free SSL Certificates of varying degrees of expiration. I have 150
points, and am able to allocate 35 points to individuals who perform
this relatively easy verification. If there are others who are also
CAcert assurers, please contact me offlist so we can arrange to make
this more coordinated.

I will be available to do certifications at Debconf, so if you are
interested, please track me down sometime during the week, and make
sure you have followed these simple directions below.

1. Make sure you have a CAcert identity (you probably already have
one, but I will need to know the email address that you used for your
CAcert identity)
2. Make a copy of your IDs, and print the assurance form
(https://www.cacert.org/docs/CAP.pdf) and fill out
the applicant's portion
3. Bring your ID and the copies of your ID and the assurance form

What is CAcert?

CAcert is building a Certificate Authority (CA) based on the Web of
Trust principle and tries to get their Root Cert in commonly used
browsers. CAcert is a Non-Profit Certificate Authority; an alternative
to the commercial CAs where you can obtain free digital X.509
certificates for client (e-mail) and server (ssl,https) applications.

CAcert works with a trust point system representing your level of
trust in the WoT. The trust point system:

    * 0-49: You are considered not enough 'assured' (not trusted
enough) by the system to be able to have your name (Common Name) on a
certificate. Such a certificate is valid six months only.
    * 50-99: You can have your name on your certificate, and it is
valid for two years. You can add extra email addresses on the cert.
You can renew your certificate. And you can obtain as many client
certificates as you want, Free!
    * 100-150: You are an Assurer by yourself and can assure others.
You can help to widen the Web of Trust. The more assurances you do the
more experience you have with Assureances and so the more trust points
you can give to an Assurancee (you start with 10 points and can reach
the max of 35 points to give away after a while). With each Assurance
you obtain 2 trust points you add 2 points to your own amount of trust
points.