Re: Webcam and IM

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 23:07 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> On 05-07-2005 19:42, Rob Taylor wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 19:17 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
> >>On 05-07-2005 18:40, Rob Taylor wrote:
> > cool, that'll be very useful. out of interest, whats controversial?

> A good short intro is here: http://lwn.net/Articles/137824/

ah, yes, judging from the patch, the author who reverse engineered this
in the 1st plasce obviously just copied some tables directly out of the
rom and didn't understand what they were. Thats certainly an issue.
Howver the standard issue of copyright not pertaining well to the
digital domain comes in here. what happens then if *i* then read the
code, that table, derive their meaning, and recode them in a meaningful
form? ;)

> >>Beware that streaming out of the HUT can be trouble. I brought my
> >>equipment to be able to chat with my girlfriend using H.323 but
> >>apparently that's not an option on this otherwise extremely potent
> >>network :-(
> >

> > well, as part of my work will be working on nat/firewall traversal, it
> > should prove an interesting case ;) Hopefully i'll at least be able to
> > get some code up and running to allow you at least a one-directional
> > (outgoing) conversation with your gf ;)
>
> Ah - Sounds great. Let's meet. Have you arrived yet? I am the wolverine
> in room 32.

I'll be getting there this friday. I'll come find you when i get
there ;)

> For your project it might be relevant also to have a look at my
> investigations here: http://wiki.jones.dk/StreamingServer - either to
> learn from it or to correct/update the page ;-)

You should take a look at http://farsight.sf.net. I'm working on a good
solution to your problems ;)

Rob