Re: Just a few questions...

I have added a Cc to the website list. I note that these kinds of
questisons happen fairly often on the Debian irc channels and it would
be good for the answers to be clear from the web site.

ti, 2005-04-26 kello 18:12 +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout kirjoitti:
> This will be my first debconf if I go and I just want to ask a few
> questions:
>
> 1. There's no charge for the event? I certainly can't find any mention
> of one. Is there a limit to people?

No charge. The buildings are not infinite in size, so obviously there
are limits, but we're unlikely to overflow, since this is, after all, a
developer oriented conference.

> 2. There doesn't seem to be a charge for the accomodation, what I find
> amazing, but may be normal. First come, first serve?

No charge. I don't know what the allocation order for the sleeping
places are, but there should be enough space in cellars or wherever.

> 3. Free food? Do I read this correctly?

The food will be free to the extent we have sponsorship money to pay for
it. Exact amounts of food, and how many it will feed, depends among
other things how many people come to the conference, so exact numbers
can't be given right now. The goal is to feed everyone enough that
no-one goes hungry.

> 4. The feeling seems to be more "we're providing a space to let people
> get together to do what they like" than a formal organised conference.
> Is this right?

Yes. There will be a number of prepared talks, but the main thing is
that people get together and make magic happen.

> 5. I've been told that bikes are cheap to hire in Finland. Is this
> correct?

I've never hired a bike in Finland. The Helsinki center has city bikes
that cost something like a two euro deposit that you get back
afterwards, but the conference actually happens outside the city of
Helsinki, so they aren't available.