Re: Recording presentations

On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 12:32 +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On Saturday 16 April 2005 23:02, John Lightsey wrote:
> > If the Debconf5 presentations will definitely be placed online in a high
> > quality format (720x480 MPEG4 avi for instance), there's no compelling
> > reason for me to worry about it.  If there is any doubt about putting
> > the presentations online though, I'd like to bring my camera and make
> > recordings for HLUG.  All I'd need is a power outlet, a little space for
> > a tripod, and a copy of the terms under which the recording can be used.
>
> Definitly there is still doubt wether we manage to record and stream
> everything :-) And definitly there is less doubt if you volunteer to join the
> team doing this :-)

Excellent.  I'd be happy to bring all my experience burning stacks of
bad DVDs to the team.  :)

> So, please bring your camera (what type is it? firewire?)

I've been using two cameras for recording HLUG presentations.  I point a
JVC GR-D22U at the presenter and a Samsung SCD103 at the projection
screen.  The Samsung is hooked up to a wireless microphone and set to
manual focus while the JVC is left on auto-focus using its built-in
microphone.  Kino can import video from the JVC, but I have to use
iMovie to import video from the Samsung.  After that I use Cinelerra to
mix the two video streams.

I have the last HLUG presentation online, but don't hold the content of
the presentation against me.  It streams reasonably well within a
browser using mplayer, from the command line using totem, or from
windows using vlc.

http://www.nixnuts.net/test.asx

John