Travelling plans from Graz/Austria

Hi folks,

I'm still not sure about the best option to get to Helsinki from Graz, Austria.

I plan to join you for Debconf 5 from Jul10-17 in Helsinki, continue to Oulu (on the Gulf of Bothnia) and maybe Amsterdam afterwards, and attend whatthehack in Den Bosch from Jul 28-31. Round trips tend to be quite expensive with airlines, and getting around locally is always a pain with luggage for three weeks... so I think about using my own car. I could eventually stop over and take another person or two with me.

What do you folks recommend to get from northern Germany (Hamburg/Rostock) to Helsinki? The ferry seems to be rather expensive (USD 110,- one way). Or should I skip Germany entirely and drive up via Czech Republic and Poland/ the Baltics? Those are all EU members now, so there shouldn't be any problems with customs. Is there a reliable/cheap ferry connection from Tallinn to Helsinki? Going via Russia is out of question for me... at least without local DDs providing advice how to get through bureaucracy and language barriers without losing car, house, pet, ;-)

TIA for any advice

Alex