From: Thomas King <thomas.king@uct.ac.za>
Date: Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 4:06 PM
Subject: RE: (Off-topic-ish) Openness... UCT vs Stellenbosch ... and google.
To: Bernelle Verster <bernellev@gmail.com>

Dear Bernelle

Fascinating!

Stellenbosch is a pioneer amongst HEI in SA when it comes to Open Access (scholarly publications). They’ve been doing this for a long time, and are to be commended for it.

Two points I’d like to address quickly:

3.       We are the only HEI in SA to have an Open Access Publication fund (to assist researchers pay the fees needed to publish in Open Access journals).

-  UCT now also has an APC fund (article processing charges) fund. You can check it out here: http://www2.lib.uct.ac.za/oapfund/

4.       To date we are the only HEI in SA to establish a Self-archiving policy which will mandate the researchers to deposit a copy of their publisher-approved manuscript in our institutional repository.  That fact that copyright belongs to SU has simplified the process of adopting the policy, which in turn will give more access to research articles and therefore indirectly support the principles of Open Access.

- UCT has also recently adopted an OA policy which requires journal articles and theses & dissertations to be deposited, but also allows for and encourages teaching and learning materials, grey literature, and other academic outputs. It’s available here: http://www.openuct.uct.ac.za/sites/default/files/UCTOpenAccessPolicy.pdf

I think talking about competition here is… well, partly inevitable when it comes to UCT and Stellenbosch’s rivalry, but also fundamentally not the point when it comes to the meaning of openness. For me (once again, this is my personal opinion, and not a UCT statement), openness is about the public-at-large and the benefits THEY will receive from making our publicly-funded work openly accessible. The means or mechanisms that make this come about are decidedly secondary to greater public engagement, education, and use of the quality research that both institutions are well-known for producing.

Tl;dr (too long; didn’t read): both institutions are engaging in openness, but have different approaches and are constantly shifting and re-evaluating as we receive feedback from academics, users, administrators, the works. BOTH are doing awesome work, and should be commended for that! J

Lastly, thanks so much for engaging with this! It’s always great to meet a fellow open academic, and I’d love to continue talking about this with you. Contact me any time!

Kind regards

-          Thomas King

Thomas King

Research Administation of the ROER4D Project

Coordinator of the Vice Chancellor’s OER Adaptation Project

CILT - Centre For Innovation in Learning and Teaching

(A merger of HAESDU and CET in January 2014)

Centre for Higher Education Development

Room 7.55, PD Hahn Building
University of Cape Town
Tel: 021 650 5191