Re: bid deadline

On 09/14/2014 12:41 AM, Bernelle Verster wrote:

> I'm still willing to do a site visit, I am reluctant to specify a
> time/date, as I have the most flexible time schedule. If someone wants
> to join me, they should please suggest a time.
> Otherwise I can go sometime this week.

I'm likely to stop by Cape Town after PyconZA (Oct 6-7), and would be
happy to join (or repeat) site visits at UCT and STIAS while I'm there.

> Graham, Marc and I have been thinking that UCT is really our preferred
> choice. We have lots of contacts there, I have done events there before
> and know the procedures to get amazing internet, and a lot of things
> will be free, that we would have to pay for at stias. Seeing that we're
> aiming to get a lot of free attendance, I think this is a major factor.

UCT is definitely our best option, but we should make sure we gather
full information on STIAS for the bid. It really strengthens our bid to
have two strong contending facilities, and budget comparisons between them.

> I will try to spend some time setting up a budget sheet on google docs,
> working from my past experience as well as the debconf reports, and see
> where we stand with required funding.
> I will also try find out a bit about residence accommodation at UCT, as
> I think that's another potential benefit of being at UCT...

Another option at UTC I was looking at today is the Breakwater Lodge:

https://www.uct.ac.za/services/communication/conferences/
http://www.breakwaterlodge.co.za/

The venue has a main hall for with seating for 220 attendees, and
additional rooms with seating for 120 (x2), 70, and 50. The Lodge has
191 rooms with rates of R450/night for a shared room (USD 40/EUR 30),
which is within the debconf range.

We'd need approval from some UCT department to host an event at Breakwater.

> I am working on the July vac as a most suitable time, any objections?

That's the right timing for dorm space.

With the Breakwater we wouldn't be tied to vacation time, so could
propose a more typical schedule for debconf in the last two weeks of
August. Also, the weather will be better the closer we get to September.

So, I suppose that means we have 3 alternative venues to compare budgets.

In your current spreadsheet, I'm impressed by the projected total cost
for venue and food of ZAR 399,246 (USD 36k/EUR 28k). That's a decent
range for debconf budgeting. (I can send you totals from previous
years.) We'll need to add projections for sponsored travel too, as well
as day trip and conference dinner. (We don't do a speaker dinner for
debconf, we to a conference dinner for all attendees.)

But, for attendee projections, debconf is highly unlikely to get 750
paying attendees. Your projection of 215 comps is good, but I'd be
surprised if we get more than 50 paying attendees on top of that.
(DebConf is a "payment optional" event, some attendees *choose* to pay,
as a way of sponsoring the conference.) That means most of the cost of
the event is carried by sponsors, which shouldn't be a problem once we
add the international sponsors into the mix.

There are some other things we can drop from that preliminary budget too
("Apple developer license"?). I'm guessing some of these budget numbers
came from another event?

Thanks for putting the preliminary budget together. It's great to start
with real practical numbers! :)

Allison