Re: BD-R burn errors

On 04/16/2014 04:16 PM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

My drive setup is returning an error on all BD-R media just at the very end
of the burn. [...] The media appears to be mountable and usable like the burn
completed normally.
System description is Ubuntu Linux12.04LTS with KDE desktop using K3b.
Probably you encounter a known bug of growisofs.
It is said to be harmless but lets K3b believe the burn run failed.
See:

Afaik, Fedora bothers to apply this fix in its packages.

Workaround is to format the BD-R before K3b hands it to growisofs
which would format it automatically, but forgets about this when
the burning is done:

   dvd+rw-format /dev/sr0

That is what I suspected. I did attempt to format the BD-R last night. No good. It would not attempt it. The program would run and then terminate. I could format BD-RE OK. I located source code dvd+rw-format.cpp and it indicated using -force option since BD-R can only be formated once. Tried -force option (and others as well) and still not working.

I have another machine with a blu-ray drive that is Slackware based. So I attempted to format the media there. Still refused to do anything. The compile date on the program was back in 2008 and that appears to match the source code file I located. The program dvd+rw-mediainfo reports the media is not formated after the attempt.

I was able to verify the BD-R media that was reported as an error. I made recursive md5sum of all the source files and then used the file across the media. All of the files reported OK. I did this on two of the disks and that indicates the burn completed and all the files are readable.

Thank you for the assistance,
James