Re: growisofs 7.1: problem past first layer on BD-R DL

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 02:27:00PM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:

 > Hi,

[...]

 >> my idea of removing the option and using defect management
 >> is based on the suspicion that the failing block is indeed
 >> problematic on the media, and can thus be worked around.

 > Rather not. The MMC reply code
 >   5 21 02 INVALID ADDRESS FOR WRITE
 > clearly says that there is something wrong with the block address of
 > the SCSI WRITE command.

Aha, thanks for this insight!  I could thus avoid the doomed
experiment with enabled defect management.

[...]

OK, I've burned three 40+ GiB tracks onto three VERBAT/IMf BD-R
DL blanks using cdrskin on the same Pioneer BDR-206D, firmware
1.56.  I used slightly varying options on each:

1. ... speed=2 stream_recording=on dvd_obs=64k -tao foo.iso

2. ... stream_recording=on speed=6 dvd_obs=64k -tao -multi -

3. ... speed=6 dvd_obs=64k -tao -multi -

All three succeeded!  The layer change at ~23867 MiB led to ~15
seconds delay for one of the writing operations, which usually
took under 4 ms, but no coasters anymore.

I've recorded the output of -vvv -V on each.  The first two runs
differed from growisofs in at least two aspects: 0xAA write
command, and 64 KiB block size.  Tha last used the 0x2A (same as
growisofs) write command, so the certain difference is down to
64 KiB block size.

It seems plausible that 64 KiB block size could have made the
difference, as the problematic 12219408 address is in the middle
of a 64 KiB block.  But who knows.  I am not sure if other
potentially relevant differences existed (e.g., in pre-write
track setup, etc).

Another cdrskin difference, observed in the _result_, is that
the writing speed didn't seem to depend on speed=X setting at
all, ranging 5.1x to 8.0x on all three burns.

Cheers,

--
/Dennis Vshivkov <jaimor@orcon.net.nz>