Re: xorriso -simply burn ISO image ?

Hi,

Frank Bauer wrote:
> Since squeeze release is approaching, I might be asked to burn some
> installation CDs, so I wanted to do it the modern way with xorriso.
> [...]
> Well, to be fair, the example is there:
>    xorriso -as cdrecord -v dev=/dev/sr0 blank=as_needed image.iso
>
> As I understand, this is emulating the good old cdrecord (which,
> again, is fine), but I would be interested in "pure" xorriso way
> without the need to emulate some other program.

The "pure" xorriso way would be to compose the image from some
input files and to put it onto the medium on-the-fly.

But here we have a use case which is well served by the cdrecord
gesture. Command -as "cdrecord" is indeed the only one in xorriso's
command set that flatly writes a data stream into a data track of
an optical medium.
It does this by means of libburn to all commercially available
types of CD, DVD, and BD media. So it is as modern as must be. :))

> xorriso -indev /tmp/wheezy.iso -outdev /dev/sr0 -blank as_needed
>         -commit -eject out

This would virtually unpack the content of /tmp/wheezy.iso and re-pack
it into a new ISO image that gets written onto /dev/sr0.
Similar to mounting /tmp/wheezy.iso and using the mounted directory
as parameter for xorriso command -add.

But you would have to perform some image manipulation after -indev and
before -commit. Else the program would refuse to write the image.
Most modest would be this command:
  -alter_date a +0 / --
It sets the access time stamp of the root directory to the current time.

Further, the result would not yet contain the boot information that was
added to the original image.
If you only need the capability to boot from CD but not from USB stick,
then you can copy the El Torito boot info from wheezy.iso by performing
command
  -boot_image any keep
before -indev.

In general one may do a lot of manipulations between loading from
-indev and writing by -commit: Delete or overwrite files, change
access permissions, add MD5 checksums, ...

But chances are high that a re-packed wheezy.iso does not benefit
from such creativity (although there surely is power in re-packing
or expanding bootable ISO images).