Re: cdrskin: formatting blank=format_defectmgt: % is jumpy (DVD-RAM)

Hi,

the problem seems to be with the emulated device or controller which
returns a response code 00h which is reserved according to the relevant
SPC-3 specs.

This one is ok:

> REQUEST SENSE
> 03 00 00 00 12 00
> From drive: 18b
> 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 02 04 04 00 80 05 c9

but the next reply is not:

> REQUEST SENSE
> 03 00 00 00 12 00
> From drive: 18b
> 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 00 31 00 37 00 20 00 47 00

Your log is truncated quite early.
It seems that the replies to command TEST UNIT READY are ok.
growisofs takes the progress information from there if available and
issues own REQUEST SENSE only if no progress report came from TEST UNIT
READY.

So the hopping values do not indicate a problem with the formatting
process. Nevertheless they are ugly and will also appear with blanking.

I will try to resort to TEST UNIT READY, as growisofs does ... and to
better examine the alleged progress indicators before believing them.

You will get a note when this is ready for testing.