Re: what difference xorriso is it going to make on the user interface?

I guess since this is a technical list I may be behave too weird, thus I need to explain why I ask such questions.

Marketing is to match products with needs. I wish to have a marketing strategy before working heavily on design a software interface. The needs are the use cases. So basically these question deserved to be answered by any desktop application:

  1. Who uses your software and for what purpose (description of use
     cases, like that one with photographer delivering photo to
     customer). Usually there are many, many use cases.
  2. Does the application design match that use case? E.g. an
     application offer audio track together with file system
     information on the same interface is a bad idea because there is
     no use case involving manipulating audio track and file system at
     the same time, even if software can do it.
  3. Do the software offer unique advantage on these particular use cases?
  4. How to message this advantage.

I am in the process of thinking these 4 points. I think, Thomas Schmitt for example, added many of his ideas into his software projects and became features. He doesn't invent these ideas just for fun, it is probably because he needed these features for his use cases, and his use cases might be common for a segment of users. If these use cases are studied, the advantage of using his tool is then getting obvious so is the guide to make user interface for them.

In fact I am interested in how /any one/ uses the tools offered by all these genisoimage, cdrecord and xorriso stuff. They are best told by stories. I can start contributing one of my own story and hope to get some others from you.

Read on: