Re: growisofs fail to burn second session: why and how to solve?

Hi,

> xorriso : SORRY : Cannot obtain Table Of Content

Looks like xorriso fails with the attempt to read ISO 9660 info
from track 1.
You can get a more verbous output by option
  -report_about DEBUG

I would like to see the output file /tmp/xorriso_toc.log of the very
verbous run

  xorriso -report_about DEBUG -scsi_log on -outdev /dev/sr2 -toc \
          2>&1 | tee -i /tmp/xorriso_toc.log

> almustafa@orphalese:~$ cdrskin -v dev=/dev/sr2 -minfo
>
>     1     1 Blank  1624736    4173823    2549088

cdrskin does not try to read the existing data. But it reports a
strange layout. The first track should start at 0.

I would like to see the output /tmp/cdrskin_minfo.log of

  cdrskin -vvv -V dev=/dev/sr2 -minfo \
          2>&1 | tee -i /tmp/cdrskin_minfo.log

>    cdrskin: burning failed
>    cdrskin: FATAL : burning failed.
>
> Strange that with -v it didn't give detail of fail.

Yes, strange.
cdrskin reports this if libburn indicates a canceled burn run.
I am examining the code for possible loopholes where this can happen
without a message.
Currently i believe it might be a failure of CLOSE TRACK SESSION
in mmc.c:mmc_close(). Looks like this gets reported only with DEBUG
verbosity.

> that I can mount, and see the content of the first session, not the
> second session.

The kernel seems to see a quite different structure than dvd+rw-mdiainfo
does.

What do you get if you use (on Linux) mount option
  -o sbsector=1624736

>     1     1 Blank  1802912    4173823    2370912

cdrskin has yet another view on this.

> I guess the DVD+R DL is now ruined.

Not much more than it was before. :))
It seems still writeable.
A super verbous burn run might give some insight in the cdrskin woes:

  cdrskin -vvv -V -multi dev=/dev/sr2 /tmp/another_newbackup.iso \
          2>&1 | tee /tmp/cdrskin_burn.log

> So I take another empty one, and
> burn it with your recommended method:
>
> $ growisofs -Z /dev/sr2=backup.iso -speed 1
>
> Result: a success.

That's how it normally should be.
I would also expect success of cdrskin and xorriso with DVD+R DL.
(The problems come rather when i try to checkread all content.)

For now there is the suspicion that the original run of wodim -multi
made the other media mad ... or that it was mad from start.

I am very interested in learning how mad it is and how i can make
my software more robust in this situation.
So i would much appreciate to get the three requested log files from you.

Best would be if you could use the most modern releases xorriso-0.6.4
and cdrskin-0.8.8. (0.5.6 and 0.8.0 are not too bad, though.)