Re: dvd+rw-tools 7.1, Blu-Ray, and INVALID FIELD IN CDB on session close

I tried this same burn with xorriso:

  xorriso : UPDATE : 55 files added in 1 seconds
  xorriso : FAILURE : Image size 12075443s exceeds free space on media 11826176s

Is it possible that the problem is that not enough space is left on the
disc to close the session ?

Yes, in fact:

  ISO image produced: 11716947 sectors
  Written to media  : 11717104 sectors at LBA 0
  Writing to '/dev/sr1' completed sucessfully.

If that is the case, I am a bit alarmed that growisofs is not warning me
about having overburned the media!  I was under the impression that
growisofs would not permit overburning unless it was specifically
allowed with the -overburn flag.

But of course that is because I was burning on-the-fly rather than from
an ISO image file, so there was no way for growisofs to know that too
much data for the disc was incoming.  xorriso is better because it can
burn on-the-fly itself, so it knows beforehand what the size of the
generated data should be.

Perhaps growisofs should be changed to warn the user at the end if he
attempted to overburn a disc, and that it might be the source of any
problems that occurred during the session?

In any case, the CLOSE SESSION problem is still around even with the
smaller amount of data that burned correctly with xorriso:

  11717109 extents written (22884 MB)
  builtin_dd: 11717120*2KB out @ average 1.3x4390KBps
  /dev/sr1: flushing cache
  /dev/sr1: closing track
  /dev/sr1: closing session
  :-[ CLOSE SESSION failed with SK=5h/INVALID FIELD IN CDB]: Input/output error

So, capacity issues aside, libburn seems to be doing something right
that growisofs is doing wrong.

Still fascinating that growisofs happily (and dumbly) overburned and
closed the session with the BD-RE but not with any BD-R I've tried.

Anyone have a clue what's going on here?

Ryan

--
Ryan C. Underwood, <nemesis@icequake.net>