Re: Announcing cdrskin-0.7.6

Hi,

me:
> > * Experimental SCSI transport adapter via GNU libcdio 0.83git

Joerg Schilling:
> Be careful with libcdio, it is in conflict with the Copyright law and
> thus cannot be legally distributed.
> The maintainer admits that it is based on code from cdrtools but the
> code in question never has been published under a license that would
> permit a redistribution under GPLv3.

You will have to discuss this with the FSF which
endorses libcdio as part of its OS software.

I am not your enemy and i do not support any
infringement of your rights. But your legal
quarrels with other open source projects are
your private affair, not mine.

libburnia-project.org does not distribute
libcdio but rather is ready to link to it for
the purpose of SCSI command transport.

I am very sure that the used libcdio interface
is not stemming from cdrtools. I conclude this
from the fact that the sense reply was not
fowarded from libcdio driver to the library core
resp. to the application. Further, the Linux
driver was not functional with payload direction
"to drive". No Bus,Target,Lun addresses to see
anywhere.

Rocky Bernstein, the author of libcdio, allowed
me to make the necessary changes in libcdio core
and in the drivers for Linux and FreeBSD.
He fulfilled the cumbersome task to revise them
and to bring them into an appropriate form.

libburn system adapter sg-libcdio can now get
the needed SCSI services from there:
Drive listing, drive accessing, SCSI command
transport, BTL address retrieval.

Other OS drivers of libcdio still wait for this
augmentation, which is not overly complicated.
The bottleneck is rather to find testers who run
some of those other systems for which libcdio
got drivers.

I got empty partitions on the disk of the new
libburnia OS farm machine.
64 bit AMD Athlon II X4 620.
Any proposals other than Linux and FreeBSD ?