Re: Announcing cdrskin-0.7.6

"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> Joerg Schilling:
> > Be careful with libcdio, it is in conflict with the Copyright law and
> > thus cannot be legally distributed.
> > The maintainer admits that it is based on code from cdrtools but the
> > code in question never has been published under a license that would
> > permit a redistribution under GPLv3.
>
> You will have to discuss this with the FSF which
> endorses libcdio as part of its OS software.
>
> I am not your enemy and i do not support any
> infringement of your rights. But your legal
> quarrels with other open source projects are
> your private affair, not mine.

It seems that you completely missunderstand the background.

I am a very liberal person and I am open for liberal OSS.
Unfortunately, there are some entities that started to attack
OpenSource and as these entities at the same time misuse OSS software,
it is obvious that we (the OSS community) need to point to the related
infringments.

It is up to you to decide whether you like to support these infringments
(e.g. by depending on illegal projects) or whether you like to stay
legal and only depend on legal software.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)