Re: Linux, ISOFS, multi-extent files: what's the status?

Giulio Orsero <giulioo@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 13:07:25 +0100, Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de
> (Joerg Schilling) wrote:
>
> >Giulio <giulioo@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I'd like to understand what are the pitfalls, if any, in using multi-extent
> >> files, as enabled by mkisofs "--iso-level 3" option for files larger than
> >> 4GiB-2, on Linux.
>
> >When I started to implement support for multi-extent files in Summer 2006
> >in mkisofs, Linux had a problem with reading multi-extent files that are not
> >a multiple of 2048 bytes. IIRC, this problem disappeared in 2007 already.
> >BTW: IIRC, I received an I/O error for the last read before the bug was fixed.
>
> RHEL5's 2.6.18 kernel originated in 2006, so we are in that time frame.

Well, if you can read files > 4 GB correctly, it may be that the problem
has been fixed in a different way. is there any patch related to iso9660
in your kernel?

> >This perfectly fits to the problem I have in mind, so it seems that
> >the bug was fixed long time ago. Are you sure that your kernel really does
> >not include the patch?
>
> Yes, the RHEL5 kernel hasn't got the patch and the patch applies cleanly to
> it. This is why I'm worried.
>
> I was about starting using files > 4GB w/o splitting them, my tests were OK,
> but now I'm worried I may find some corner cases I don't know how to test
> beforehand.

If you tested content and readability, you seem to have made a 100% test.
A content verification needs to make sure that the parts > 4 GB have different
content than anything in the file before.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)