Re: Linux, ISOFS, multi-extent files: what's the status?

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 13:07:25 +0100, Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de
(Joerg Schilling) wrote:

>Giulio <giulioo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to understand what are the pitfalls, if any, in using multi-extent
>> files, as enabled by mkisofs "--iso-level 3" option for files larger than
>> 4GiB-2, on Linux.

>When I started to implement support for multi-extent files in Summer 2006
>in mkisofs, Linux had a problem with reading multi-extent files that are not
>a multiple of 2048 bytes. IIRC, this problem disappeared in 2007 already.
>BTW: IIRC, I received an I/O error for the last read before the bug was fixed.

RHEL5's 2.6.18 kernel originated in 2006, so we are in that time frame.

>This perfectly fits to the problem I have in mind, so it seems that
>the bug was fixed long time ago. Are you sure that your kernel really does
>not include the patch?

Yes, the RHEL5 kernel hasn't got the patch and the patch applies cleanly to
it. This is why I'm worried.

I was about starting using files > 4GB w/o splitting them, my tests were OK,
but now I'm worried I may find some corner cases I don't know how to test
beforehand.
--
giulioo@pobox.com