Re: CLOSE SESSION failed with SK=5h/INVALID FIELD IN CDB: not harmless?

Hi,

> BD-R DL disc
> mkudffs -r 0x0201 --vid="Old C" --media-type=hd --utf8
> /video/oldc_backup.udf 20971520
> growisofs -Z /dev/sr1=/video/oldc_backup.udf
> builtin_dd: 20971520*2KB out @ average 0.7x4390KBps

Looks like 2x BD speed with Defect Management
enabled. This makes really long run times.
But well, i would not dare to run a BD-R DL
without Defect Management. It is just too big
and too expensive to risk entire failure with a
single bad spot.

> /dev/sr1: flushing cache
> /dev/sr1: closing track
> /dev/sr1: closing session
> :-[ CLOSE SESSION failed with SK=5h/INVALID FIELD IN CDB]: Input/output

Such a message is rarely harmless.
The drive wrote everything but failed
to finish properly.

> Mount works ok:
> However, there doesn't seem to be anything there:
> smally$ ls -a /mnt
> .

So the file tree was not read properly.
No chance to verify any data this way.

I see two possible reasons of failure here:
- MMC which rules the writing of data to the
  media.
- UDF which rules the reading of file tree
  and the access to file contents.

To check the correctness of the MMC writing
process, compare the whole media content with
your image file
  dd if=/dev/sr1 bs=2048 count=20971520 | \
  diff - /video/oldc_backup.udf

If this verifies correctly, then UDF mount
is to blame. Possibly it does not find its
superblock.
For help with UDF checking you will probably
have to look at some other mailing list.

Said that, i want to mention that ISO 9660 is
well able to host files larger than 4 GB and
that current Linux can read such big files out
of ISO images correctly. (Older Linux cannot.)

My program xorriso produces such images and/or
burns them to media.
Given the price of BD-R DL and the fact that
i never burned such a media, i would advise that
you eventually make two BD-RE or BD-R rather
than one BD-R DL.

xorriso would be able to read the ISO filesystem
independently of the Linux mount facility.
So in case of problems, one would have more
chance to find out what's wrong, and in case of
Linux bugs one would be able to retrieve files
from a sane ISO image.