CLOSE SESSION failed with SK=5h/INVALID FIELD IN CDB: not harmless?

So I decided I wanted to back up my Windows drive, which is NTFS. Since
there are very big files there, very deep directories, crazy filenames,
etc. I figure UDF is the way to go. The total size was 37GB. I've got a
Blu-Ray burner and so I figure I'll buy a BD-R DL disc and do it. Since
I didn't want a very expensive coaster I figured I'll "master" the UDF
filesystem first, then burn it. I use mkudffs:

mkudffs -r 0x0201 --vid="Old C" --media-type=hd --utf8
/video/oldc_backup.udf 20971520

Then I mount this filesystem, and copy all of the files into the
filesystem. Unmount the filesystem, now I'm ready to go. Now I run:

growisofs -Z /dev/sr1=/video/oldc_backup.udf

This runs for a long time, so I return later and find at the end of the
output:

42919985152/42949672960 (99.9%) @0.7x, remaining 0:09 RBU  88.5% UBU  98.3%
42930864128/42949672960 (100.0%) @0.7x, remaining 0:06 RBU  56.1% UBU  98.3%
42941349888/42949672960 (100.0%) @0.7x, remaining 0:02 RBU  24.8% UBU  98.3%
builtin_dd: 20971520*2KB out @ average 0.7x4390KBps
/dev/sr1: flushing cache
/dev/sr1: closing track
/dev/sr1: closing session
:-[ CLOSE SESSION failed with SK=5h/INVALID FIELD IN CDB]: Input/output
error

So now I try to mount the disc. Well, this is where things really go
weird. Mount works ok:

smally$ sudo mount -t udf -o ro /dev/sr1 /mnt
smally$ echo $?
0

However, there doesn't seem to be anything there:

smally$ ls -a /mnt
.
smally$

Gack! Could there be something wrong with the file image? It would seem
not, because I can mount the UDF image just fine:

smally$ sudo mount -t udf -o loop,ro /video/oldc_backup.udf /mnt
smally$ ls /mnt
ADOBEAPP                favorite.way     PMig.Log
AUTOEXEC.BAT            Garmin           Program Files
bdb-4.2.52              I386             Python23
bin                     Inetpub          Python24
Boost                   inferno.log      Python25
boot.ini                IO.SYS           RECYCLER
BOOTSECT.DOS            j2sdk1.4.1_02    svn-win32-1.0.2
Config.Msi              LogiSetup.log    svn-win32-1.1.2
CONFIG.SYS              lost+found       SWIG-1.3.21

[...]

So I figure I'll find out what is on the media:

smally$ sudo dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/sr1
INQUIRY:                [HL-DT-ST][BD-RE  GGW-H20N ][XJ03]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
 Mounted Media:         41h, BD-R SRM+POW
 Media ID:                 MEI/T01
 Current Write Speed:   2.0x4495=8991KB/s
 Write Speed #0:        2.0x4495=8991KB/s
GET [CURRENT] PERFORMANCE:
 Write Performance:     2.0x4495=8991KB/s@[0 -> 12088319]
                        2.0x4495=8991KB/s@[12088320 -> 24307711]
 Speed Descriptor#0:    02/24307711 R@2.0x4495=9158KB/s W@2.0x4495=8991KB/s
BD SPARE AREA INFORMATION:
 Spare Area:            65088/65536=99.3% free
POW RESOURCES INFORMATION:
 Remaining Replacements:16843296
 Remaining Map Entries: 0
 Remaining Updates:     0
READ DISC INFORMATION:
 Disc status:           appendable
 Number of Sessions:    1
 State of Last Session: incomplete
 "Next" Track:          1
 Number of Tracks:      2
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
 Track State:           partial incremental
 Track Start Address:   0*2KB
 Free Blocks:           0*2KB
 Track Size:            20971680*2KB
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#2]:
 Track State:           invisible incremental
 Track Start Address:   20971680*2KB
 Next Writable Address: 20971680*2KB
 Free Blocks:           3336032*2KB
 Track Size:            3336032*2KB
FABRICATED TOC:
 Track#1  :             14@0
 Track#AA :             14@24307712
 Multi-session Info:    #1@0
READ CAPACITY:          24307712*2048=49782194176
smally$

Looking at the track size it is in fact just a bit bigger than the udf
image file. I fired up an interactive python session and opened up
/dev/sr1 to see if I could seek around and read stuff, which I could.

So could anyone help me understand what's going on? If there's some way
to "fix" the written session that would be great. Or at least I'd like
to figure out what is happening so I can avoid making any further $40
coasters. I'm using dvd+rw-tools 7.1-4 (ubuntu version) in ubuntu
version 9.10. Kernel is:

smally$ uname -a
Linux smally 2.6.30 #1 SMP Sun Nov 1 18:56:42 SGT 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

built locally from git tag for 2.6.30.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen