Re: cdrecord floating point exception

Hi,

> It's not quite the same and also FreeBSD-specific. You don't want that.

FreeBSD is the other operating system which
the libburnia project supports.

The bad-hald-experience reports were all
from scdbackup users on Linux of different
ages and distros. Before hald there were
other disturbing automats.

> BTW, for testing if/how hald stomps over writing: can I trigger hald
> corruption by just writing some data to CD-RW on a modern (MMC) DVD writer
> (NEC) while hald is probing?

This depends on the ever changing habits
of hald when and how to probe.
I once straced one on a SuSE 9 kernel 2.6
system (i.e. an hald early version). It opened
with and without O_EXCL several times after
the tray was loaded. After some time it ended
teasing the drive.

So a good reciepe seems to be to let the
burn program load the tray and to set eventual
gracetime=0. The mishap usually happens during
the first 100 MB. But somtimes later.
Do not expect this to be deterministic.
My experiments yielded failure with about
50% of the tries.
On SuSE 10.2 it seems to be more reliably ill.

And of course, lots of media are immune:
DVD+RW, formatted DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, BD-RE.
I never saw anything fail other than CD
but did not test DVD-R[W], DVD+R, BD-R
for that.

> "PHONE CARD", unmountable by FreeBSD+GNOME+HAL

Just naive.