Re: cdrecord floating point exception

Hi,

> I tried cdrecord because growisofs didn't work

growisofs not working is a very bad sign
for drive and/or media.

> But it would still be nice to get a clear
> error message indicating what has gone
> wrong.

We are restricted to what the drive tells
our programs. We send SCSI commands and get
status replies. In case of error this gives
the three numbers SK, ASC, ASCQ which we
can translate according to a list in the
MMC specs. See e.g.
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/keys.txt

Nevertheless the drive manufacturers
invent own error codes and sometimes the
emitted codes hardly match the problem.

But your problem is quite consistent.
Drive and media do not work together.
You cannot format successfully, you cannot
write a single byte. The various programs
say that the media is unformatted after
any effort to format it (plus tray reload).

You need to exchange some of the involved
hardware. Drive or media.