Re: Thoughts on writing CD from stdin

Joerg Schilling wrote:
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

The best solution for that problem is to kill hald ;-)

kill -STOP ` pgrep hald `

Noted. Since the only mode which seems to have a hope of working is TAO
from what people have said, raw96r seems to be a side track. And I would
certainly edit the configuration rather than just kill hal and do all
the associated work by hand.,

I am not sure what you understand by editing the configuration....

By default many Linux distributions have hal polling the CD/DVD drives, and that's fine if you aren't doing burning, or are using certain burning methods. But there are configuration files for hal which can change the way things are done, just one more configuration in /etc which the user can adjust.

If you like a real solution, we would need to find a way to make the people who
write hald from linux to become interested in fixing their bugs.

I don't regard it as a bug that a program does what the configuration file or command line options request. In general a bug is an *unintended* behavior, but this appears not to be the case.

While I think of configuration, could cdrtools have a option to NOT try and install setuid? If run as a normal user it lacks permissions to do the install at all, and if run as root it does something I don't want. Obviously I can get around it, but it is just one more thing to remember, since it installs by default in a tree where I definitely don't want setuid programs.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still