Re: cdrecord: compiling failure on RHEL3 due to MKLINKS

Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 01:58:15PM +0100, Giulio Orsero wrote:
> > ==== System data
> > OS: Linux 2.4.33 (RHEL3)
> > cdrecord:  2.01.01a55
> >
> > ==== Problem
> > compiling with
> > 	$ make
> > fails due to, I think, the way/order in which make (3.79.1) processes
> > missing files.

The problem is a result of a bug in gmake that make gmake ignore certain
dependencies.

> If you're using GNU make (which you appear to be, based on that version
> string), here's the easiest way to do it:
>
> $ sudo ln -s /usr/bin/make /usr/local/bin/gmake
> $ gmake
>
> Joerg also shipped a wrapper script called "Gmake" in the top level
> directory of the cdrtools source tree, so I suppose you could try
> running
>
> $ ./Gmake
>
> instead, but having the gmake symlink in /usr/local/bin will help you
> in the long run with other programs that expect "gmake" to exist.

This does not help. All the Gmake script does it to tell the makefile system
that "gmake" instead of "make" was used.

Recent versions of the makefile system are able to recognize gmake from the
existence of $(MAKE_COMMAND)

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)