Re: Announcing xorriso-0.3.6

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

> As long as you can back up and restore what is there in Linux now, and
> use features which other applications and OS are required to ignore if
> they do not understand, then you have provided a useful backup
> capability which is "portable enough" to be useful. Rarely are the xattr

It seems that you missunderstand portability.

> If IBM actually does buy Sun, I suspect that the best features of AIX
> and Solaris will be made available to Linux, and marketing of the legacy
> OS will be minimal. For the same reasons that tru64, MULTICS and OS/2

It seems that you don't know what IBM customers like.

IBM did already pay Sun for porting Solaris for zSeries because of the users
demand.

The Linux kernel developers on the other side are not interested in the features
from Solaris. They could use them since June 14th 2005 but they don't.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)