Re: Announcing xorriso-0.3.6

"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> > All recent software uses ACLs based on NTFS ACLs.
>
> Not according to the Linux and FreeBSD man
> pages which i studied.
>
> If i ever get in touch with other ACL
> permissions like "Modify", "List Folder"
> or "Full Control" then i will use the
> FUTURE_VERSION type of the current definition
> to define a 2-byte entry format.

It seems like you missunderstand things.

NTFS-style ACLs have been standardized in 2004 together with NFSv4.
The UFS-style ACLs you like to implement have been withdrawn
in 1999, they only continue to exist for legacy reasons. I know of
no "future" ACL style, but about what people currently use and this
is NTFS-style ACLs. If you don't believe me, check the ACL implementation
that is supported on NetApps servers.

> > BTW: do you know of any OS that reads your ACL implementation?
>
> Not yet.

A strong hint for not adding support to Rock Ridge for something that
has been withdrawn 10 years ago...

Note that regarding to extended attributes, we are in a similar situation.
The implementation from you is incompatible to the current standard for
extended attributes that is is the NFSv4 standard. The related basics have been
discussed in Y2000 on the POSIX mailing list and the related basic system
interface was introduced in Solaris in August 2000 and later added to
POSIX.2-2008.

BTW: Linux and FreeBSD implement NFSv4 and with NFSv4 at least the extended
attribute standard from NFSv4. I am sure that these OS will also implement
NFSv4 style ACLs is this was not yet done already.

It seems that your proposal is 10 years too late....

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)