Re: Announcing xorriso-0.3.6

Hi,

Joerg Schilling wrote:
> it is in conflict with Apple extensions.

What unlucky coincidence. I googled heavily for "AA"
and found nothing that would have a relation
to ISO images.

It is no problem if one produces the image according
to SUSP-1.12 which prescribes to separate different
extensions by ES fields.

For now xorriso produces according to SUSP-1.10/RRIP-1.10
per default. That's because many older kernels do not
recognize the ER Signature of RRIP-1.12.
So there _could_ be a collision, indeed.

But:

I do not see any trace of AA field interpretation
in kernel lists of RRIP fields in Linux, Solaris,
FreeBSD.

Even now that i got pointed to them, i find few
traces of Apple extensions in the web.
I found out they belong to "Apple ISO 9660" and not
to RRIP or SUSP. So there should be in the System
Identifier of image PVD the text "APPLE COMPUTER, INC.".
xorriso images will surely not bear that text,
just for copyright reasons.

Finally, this here should save us for a while:
mkisofs/rock.c
                Rock[ipnt++] = 0x02;    /* SystemUseID */
where AAIP prescribes
  [3] "BP 4 - System Use Entry Version" shall be 1 as in ISO 9660:7.1.1.

If there shows up any real collision with Apple AA
then one will have to produce images with modern SUSP
entry ES (modern means 15 years old).

I will consider another adjustment of xorriso's defaults.