Re: is my drive defect - request for comments

"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> It is not impossible that cdrecord knows how to
> compose a sector with 2048 payload bytes and
> the necessary ornaments by the means of a sector
> written as data block type 3 with 2448 bytes.
> One would have to try. But i will not impose raw
> writing on my loved drives just for curiosity.

Writing in raw mode is more that just shuffling data, you
need to understand the mathematical background of error correction
and the sub channel data structures. Cdrecord implements this
since 2001.

I will of course prefer to write in raw mode using cdrecord before
writing in SAO mode with an unknown drive as I then know
that many typical bugs in the CD writer firmware do not apply.

> Joerg is right that i would need to learn about
> that and some other CD specifics ... if it would
> be of enough real world importance, and if the
> info was publicly available. MMC mentions only
> fragments of that.

The information is freely available and MMC mentions nearly anything
you need. ell MMC does not contain the information you need to write karaoke
CDs ;-)

> But back to the thread topic:
>
> I doubt that raw writing is a realistic solution
> for weird behavior of a SATA attached drive.
> When was the last incident that TAO and SAO did
> not work ? 1995 ? 2000 ?

You see similar problems caused by hald on Linux nearly every week....
These people in most cases solve their problems by writing in RAW mode
or by killing hald.

> And i still wonder what's wrong with Helmut
> Jarausch's drive or media.

Either his drive is broken or his power supply...

However before writing in RAW mode, it is not possible to be sure as long as
hald is runung.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)