Re: is my drive defect - request for comments

Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a brand new drive (LG GH22NS30) and I'm encountering
> problems with cdrecord.
> E.g. I get
> cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
> CDB:  2A 00 FF FF FF 6A 00 00 1F 00
> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 2A 00 00 80 30 05 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x30 Qual 0x05 (cannot write medium - incompatible format) Fru 0x0
> Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
>
> Since this occurs even with a Verbatim medium,
> Jörg has been so kind to help me, and suggested the -raw96r format.
> This did succeed but when testing this CD afterwards with readcd
> or xorriso, it showed a lot of errors.

If you do not describe your problems, it is haed to help.

You may e.g. call readcd -c2scan to check the quality of the medium.
A freshly written CD should not have any C2 error. If there are C2 errors
on recently written CDs, the quality of the medium is low or the writer
(laser) is worn out or has a dusty lens.

BTW: A dusty lens may be a result from sucking dusty air through the drive.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)