RE: cdrecord floating point exception

Hi Thomas,

> It is advisable to use a different program
> for DVD purposes. E.g:
> growisofs, cdrecord, cdrskin, xorriso.
> (I am author of the latter two.)
>
> DVD+RW should be simply writeable via their
> device file. Try:
>
> dd if=newworld.iso bs=2048 of=/dev/dvd
>
> Maybe the kernel is smarter than the burn program.

I tried this and here's the output:

$ dd if=~/newworld.iso bs=2048 of=/dev/dvd
dd: writing `/dev/dvd': No space left on device
2+0 records in
1+0 records out
2048 bytes (2.0 kB) copied, 0.080821 s, 25.3 kB/s

I guessed this was because the media needed formatting which I did with
dvd+rw-format /dev/dvd
but the outcome was still the same.

I tried cdrecord because growisofs didn't work (see thread about a fortnight ago).  So this may not be software related.  But it would still be nice to get a clear error message indicating what has gone wrong.

Thanks for your help,
Parker

Find a cure at MSN NZ Money. Got a 2008 financial hangover?