Re: Burned or not burned? dvd+rw-mediainfo can't decide

Hi,

> I'm still unable to burn DVD+RW's with
> growisofs and suspect a bug.

Most probably not the burn program is to
blame.

> I'm using TDK ... not a no-name brand

Regrettably that is no guarantee that they
will work with a particular drive or work
at all.
(Biggest bloop is LG giving away an unusable
 BD-RE media with its GGW H20L drives.)

Standard advise in cases like yours is:
get other media.
This is unsatisfying but sadly it has the
highest probability to provide a remedy.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dvd+rw-tools/+bug/59506

This is about growisofs detecting and reporting
errors but not setting its exit value non-zero.
This is (was ?) nasty behavior if you run it in
a script.
Nevertheless you do not report of any error
messages. So i believe this bug is not related
to your problem.

> Is there a way of burning a dvd that circumvents growisofs?

You can use cdrecord, or cdrskin, or xorriso,
or the wellknown commercial burn program for
Linux.

My own experience as author of cdrskin and
xorriso tells me that there is few hope for
differences with DVD+RW media.
The only interesting point about them is
formatting.

So the first try would be to explicitely
and fully format the media:
  dvd+rw-format -force=full /dev/dvd
or
  cdrskin -v dev=/dev/dvd blank=format_overwrite_full
or
  xorriso -dev /dev/dvd -format full

Then try to burn a session to the media.

If you want to use my software
  cdrskin -v dev=/dev/dvd  ma_vie_en_l_aire.iso
or
  xorriso -as cdrecord -v dev=/dev/dvd  ma_vie_en_l_aire.iso

But i have to state again that there is few
chance for the burn program to be the culprit.

BTW: One should always eject optical media before
trying to read them. All burn programs circumvent
the block device driver when writing.
So the driver is not informed about an eventual
change in media format or content.
(In your case the drive knows too much about the
intended content. If that is solved then the
Linux driver will not know enough about it
until you let it load the media again.)