growisofs buggy? [Was Burned or not burned? dvd+rw-mediainfo can't decide]

Hi Thomas, Hi Bill,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm still unable to burn DVD+RW's with growisofs and suspect a bug.

> > Burned or not burned? dvd+rw-mediainfo can't decide
>
> Your observations indicate that the drive is
> not able to recognize the media's formatting
> and data content although it did not report
> an error during the write run.
> The media info after writing is explainable
> if the drive cached the formatting info in its
> internal memory until the media got ejected.

Yes, it looks like a drive cache issue.  I'll just eject and re-load to check from now on.

> It may be that the media shows up as formatted
> and readable in a different drive.

Nope.  Each time they come up as blank on different drives even though they are burned without growisofs returning an error.

> For the drive in question you should get media
> from a different manufacturer.

I'm using TDK bought from a major supermarket, not a no-name brand.  TDK DVD-RW's burn fine, but TDK DVD+RW's come up empty after burning.  I have tried two different burners from different manufacturers, in each case the devices support DVD+RW according to the manufacturers.  I have tried on two different PCs, with two different releases of ubuntu (8.04 and 8.10).  I have reformatted the media with dvd+rw-format /dev/dvd but after burning the DVD+RW's are still empty.

Possibilities I'm considering are that I've got a bad batch of media and that growisofs is buggy.

If burning fails, growisofs should report it, but some users have found that it doesn't always report problems:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dvd+rw-tools/+bug/59506

Is there a way of burning a dvd that circumvents growisofs?  I don't have Windows which would have been handy to check.

Cheers,
Parker

Find a cure at MSN NZ Money Got a 2008 financial hangover?