Re: Weird problem with RHEL5 isofs driver when using mkisofs -x --exclude options

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 11:06:33 +0200, Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de
(Joerg Schilling) wrote:

>> So, is this a RHEL5 general fs issue or a RHEL5 isofs issue?
>>
>> Why would the method used my mkisofs matter if isoinfo show the same output?
>
>I don't understand you.
>
>I thought that isoinfo shows the correct output for -find and an incorrect
>output if you don't use -find.

I always posted the output of the script I posted in the 1st email.

isoinfo output was always right (at least as for permissions and timestamp
which I was interested in).

The incorrect permissions/timestamp were from "ls -l" on the iso image as
mounted on linux using Linux isofs driver.

That very same iso image, when mounted on Linux, would:
- show uncorrect perms/timestamp if mounted on RHEL5
- show correct perms/timestamp if mounted on RHEL3

If I produce the iso image using "-find"; then Linux isofs RHEL5 driver will
show correct perms/timestamp too.

My problem is that I have a backup script that when run on RHEL5 will
produce iso image which RHEL5 will read in a wrong way, unless it seems I
change the backup script to use "-find".

What is weird for me is:
1) Why would RHEL5 isofs driver be confused by an iso image produced by
mkisofs with the "-x" flag, even when the -x flag should have no effect
since, as per my example, would exclude something is not there.
As soon as I take the -x option out, RHEL5 will read the iso image
correctly.
I'd think mkisofs would produce the very same output if I tell it to exclude
something that is not there, basically a noop.

2) Switching to "mkisofs -find" seems to fix the issue, but I don't
understand why.

--
giulioo@pobox.com