Re: mkisofs -M makes no attempt to reconstruct multi-extent files

Joerg Schilling wrote:
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

Only a setting up correct multi-extent file directory entry will work correctly.

I'm curious how you handle the case where the file shrinks and no longer
needs multi-extent. I hope that's clear, I don't have a better
description at hand.

The best solution for problems is to handle unrelated things independently.

The first step was to implement multi-extent files correctly.

The second step will be to make retained multi-extent files correclty in the
next session.

If there is a remaining problem, lets see.....

I have no problem with following correct steps in order. I think there's a problem with large files being smaller, but I may not have explained it clearly.

Doing things correct may look as if it takes more time than doing things quickly
but it finally wins. I will continue to do things right with mkisofs rather than
trying to find quick ways to hide problems at first sight (as done in
"genisoimage"). Users of my software can rely on me taking things seriously. In
the long term, I will be able to keep software maintainable that's what finally
counts what's important for me.

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still
  be valid when the war is over..." Otto von Bismark